Jack's recent posting concludes in the following way:

So, Mohsen - I am wondering how you will receive my response about your letter being constituted by statements of belief (which I identify with) while I was looking for evidence of learning and explanations of your educational influence in your own learning and in the learning of others

Dear Jack, Sara and every one on the list,

Your reiteration of the word evidence makes me ponder on a number of things and helps me come up with some questions:

Evidence comes from the Latin word videre = see giving us the meaning of some thing that makes another thing evident as a sign can do this. Also, evidence can be known as data that can be verified as factual. In this sense, evidence includes statistics, testimony, personal experience, witnesses, and records-information whose accuracy can be examined independently.  Critical means to take something apart and analyze it on the basis of standards. The word critical comes from Skeri (Anglo-Saxon) = to cut, separate, sift, and criterion (Greek) = a standard for judging. Critical thinking, therefore, brings conscious awareness, skills and standards to the process of observing, analyzing, reasoning, evaluating, reading and communicating.

So, If I quote, present or cite my students’ comments, remarks, feedback, evaluation, etc. would that be considered evidence in terms of learning? ( if that’s so, please find attached several of such evidence from classes I have taught including a glance at hermeneutics, the problem of choices and self psychology, communication skills for teacher educators, how to use the right brain more effectively, a journey through the wonders of mind, mindfulness and learning, etc. I can send more of these to corroborate and substantiate the evidence). You can kindly take a peak and see if the word evidence makes sense here or not.

If influence is taken as an act (and not an automatic behavior which could be done unwittingly and involuntarily), it requires awareness, understanding, mindfulness, choice, option and mission. Thus, it, ipso facto, is generational as Sara has beautifully described that. And if that’s generational, it would bring those who are moved by the educational dimension of the message. So a genuine act of educational influence is creational since it produces, generates and cultivates.

Does the exclusive search for evidence substantiate the veracity of the educational influence or any other influence? Perhaps, Spice Girls can be considered as one of the most influential figures as they can be correlated to opulent manifestation of people who were so much parched with thirst to see what  they( Girls) were doing. (I don’t need to elaborate this; you have seen interviews, clips, and so many rich evidence in this regard from others too including Jennifer Lopez, Cindy Crawford and others).

I conclude with a poem of mine which was in Published in English Quarterly 2001-2002)

The pragmatics of you

By: Sayyed Mohsen Fatemi

English Quarterly 2001-2002

I was somnambulating in the Milky Way of fervor and passion out of sensibility and not stupidity when the bees of parlance stung the tender cheeks of my sentiments.

So I call on you to plumb how precisely and distinctly the measurement of collyrium has been calculated from the center of our eyelashes. And I urge you to see how close the architecture of altars is linked to the eyebrows of eternity.

I would like to measure the density of your eyes so you feel the special weigh of my tears. I would like to constitute two atoms of eternity on the strength of one molecule of your smile. I want to travel through the meanders of your complexion, your countenance and your pigmentation to see the celestial gems of collyrium.

I would like to set myself parallel with your eyelashes, tangent with the semicircle of your eyebrow then I will change the composition and configuration of minute, incapacious miniscule universe of any sorrow, lamentation and hardship.

I would like to hear the flowing secretion of your pituitary glands, releasing adreno cortico trophic hormone stimulating your adrenal cortex.

I would like to invent a thermometer for the qibla of your eyebrow.

Let me illustrate your tears, let me paint your sigh, let me shape my semantics in to your physiognomy, let me let your soul sculpture its mould. Let me untie thousands of maritime knots from your eyes. Let me calculate the cryptic, clandestine, surreptitious taverns in any corner of your eyes, to see how many goblets I can take.

Let me, under these pulchritudinous ravishing white flowers of intention and meaning, take just one piece of your reaction to solidify my demonstration.

Copy right is with the author.

Sayyed Mohsen Fatemi, Ph.D.

Lecturer in Language Education, Psychology and  Communication

The University of British Columbia

Tel: 604 2224495

Emails: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]