Mohsen thinks and speaks - “Assertions as 'I think" or "I speak", become in particular the vehicles for the manifestation of this knowledge. The active subject of these judgments is the performative "I" as distinct from the metaphysical "I" or the self which has been the fundamental issue in any philosophical inquiry. I wish you a polysemic encounter with the moonlight…”

Assalaam wa Alaikum. Reading your words, Mohsen, your wish has come true, partly. I’m laughing as your wish for my polysemic encounter explodes joyfully within the bright crisp sunshine of morning. My performative ‘I’ (in Judith Butler’s sense) is, in deed, for better and sometimes for worse, the ‘I’ through which I enact, mediate and lose sight of occasionally, my covenant of adab for a meaningful life with others.

I have grown to love the pregnancy of pause, and from that space of deepening reflexivity, explore what the Sufi’s mean by ibn al-waqt, or my life as a child of the present with a commitment to the possibility for our future. I now wish I could know the meaning of pregnancy, quite literally, and how this different knowledge might change my polysemic performativity in living with others. I think, I speak and now I smile: I like the polysemic irony released through Ben Okri’s words here and in dedicating them to you, Mohsen, dedicate them many times over to us all:

‘The greatest art was probably born from a profound and terrible silence – a silence out of which the deepest enigmas of our lives cry: Why are we here? What is the point of it all? How can we know peace and live in joy? Why be born to die? Why this difficult one-way journey between the two mysteries? “

Perhaps to provide us with a creative mischief to undertake multiple polysemic adventures into these two mysteries, I wonder.

I suspect Ben Okri is being playfully polysemic, and hilariously ironic when he writes,

“Healing in words and healing beyond words. Like gestures. Warm gestures. Like friendship, which will always be a mystery. Like a smile, which someone described as the shortest distance between two people” (Birds of Heaven, 1996, Phoenix, pages 2-6).

Yes, Susie’s gracious sense of blessing is delightful – your polysemic blessing of us, Mohsen, and the blessing of a liberating polysemic possibility you hold in yourself as educator for others.

Great!

Yaakub