Dear Sara,

I have been very impressed by your hermeneutical reading! I also thank you for your benevolence in speaking so generously and graciously. Your tone is inspiring!

I would like to respond to the questions that you have asked in the following order. (I am not bringing the initial quote as you have mentioned).

We need to make a distinction here: locutionary is what we say. Illocutionary is what we mean by what we say: if it is an order, if it is an imperative mood, if it is a request, or a promise. We also have the third factor: perlocutionary which is the impact of what is said on the audience. The audience, would probably process the information through both the rational mind and the experiential mind. The rational mind can have a focus on the cognition where as the experiential mind would concentrate on emotions. The marginal meanings, the associative and the affective meanings unfold themselves here. Also, culture appears as an unconscious factor that can filter the perlocutionary element.

I have only tried to present the position by the German Expressivism. However, I fully comply with you that there are some inherently universal sense of justice, freedom, aesthetics, etc. You have referred to the kids who have a natural sense of justice without borrowing it from their parents. I guess you are referring to the values common to human beings. What would happen if we take off the words such as “heart” from the literary works all around the world? What makes us cry together is indicative of values that constitute humanity as a whole. I will talk about this more elaborately in my future postings.

Yes, Johari window and its four components would be of great avail here.

I was referring to some perspectives on the distinction here in that if we are going to limit ourselves to the distinction between the potential and the competence, that does not really lead us any where since access to the potential is inextricably tied to access to the performance.
You are right on your examples and arguments since some people think in terms of words (verbal style of thinking) whereas others think in terms of images (visual styles of thinking).
 I fully agree with you that one's potential can be different from what he/she shows.
In regards to teaching creatively, we first need to develop awareness on what creativity is: to look for the unfamiliar in the midst of familiar. We need to constantly remind learners to revisit the mindsets so they do not only focus on what actually is but what potentially can be. If I show my students a can of coke and ask them what it is. They may come up with “this is a coke”. Where as if they come up with “this can be coke”, they can think of what this can be otherwise. This can be of great changes in terms of lexicon. I have done workshops for educators in this regard and at the end of the day, we have seen big changes in modes of expressiveness and modes of
reflexivity. I can share the details later if you like.

As I have mentioned, I am not using mindlessness and mindfulness in the form of a binary and I am not suggesting that mindfulness is the only key to creativity. Creativity can not be prescribed in one definitive way. Creativity does not recognize any borders, frontiers or language.

I thank you again and I wish you celebrating the consummation of nocturnal insights and contemplation away from the hue and cries of deviation standards,

Mohsen

Sayyed Mohsen Fatemi, Ph.D.

Lecturer in Language Education, Psychology and  Communication

The University of British Columbia

Tel: 604 2224495

Emails: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]