Kia ora, mutse atsi and hi to all
Thanks to Susie and Sarah for wishes re my 'family drama'.  Things seem to
be improving, though I'm still having to direct a lot of energy to my sister
and her family.  All part of practitioner commitment, using a question of
'how can I best support my extended family in their time of trial, without
imposing my values on them?'  (Of course, I don't approach it like that, but
am rephrasing how I try to support, compatible with where they're at and
what my own values are).

I would be most grateful if Jack, Marion and Sarah are able to proceed as
Sarah suggests below.  I'm an independent practitioner these days, and don't
have as easy access to academic journals and support as perhaps those
working in institutions have.  And I trust those contributing to this group
to proceed in ways that best support the direction of our mutual
conversations.  I would be happy to contribute a paper - it won't have
'bells and whistles' in the multimedia sense though!

Yaakub, somehow I have missed a posting from you, referred to in Robyn's
reply.  Don't know how that has happened, but fortunately Robyn left your
posting below hers.  Kia ora Robyn - like you I am a nearly 60 year old
pakeha and I value your quiet, calm reflection.  (And I remember cats'
cradles, and Maori stick games! Great fun).  I was interested to read how
influential Tuhiwai Smith's book had been for Nceku.  But your reflections
on Tuhiwai Smith's developing understanding of her identity took me back to
another influential Maori academic's work.  Russell Bishop wrote a book
called "Collaborative Research Stories: Whakawhanaungatanga" in 1996.
Whakawhanaungatanga means connections with whanau, or family, understood in
the broader sense.  Bishop recalled, in the early stages of that book, how
he had been raised in a largely pakeha (non-Maori) way, only discovering his
Maori side quite later in his life.  Also, using action research initially
in his research journey, he later reflected that he felt the roots of the
approach were westernized, and now prefers to use kaupapa Maori research
(research built on Maori ways of being and doing) though he acknowledges
that there is close connection between the two, if the action researchers
behave responsibly.  Educators on this list may be interested in his recent
work, "Te Kotahitanga", a Ministry of Education-funded intervention into New
Zealand schools to help the teachers teach in ways that are more likely to
produce the kinds of achievement for Maori students that 'traditional'
approaches to teaching have denied many of them in the past.  You can see
his report on
http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?layout=document&documentid=8771&indexid=
6509&indexparentid=1063&goto=00
if you want to see how they intervened.  The results have been really
positive and I am currently working on a Pasifika (Pacific Island students)
version, in association with other colleagues.

Thanks for the poems Alan, and the wondrous blessings, Mohsen!  Where DO you
get them all from! And thanks to all who are contributing to this rich
international discussion.
Kind regards
Pip Bruce Ferguson