In a lot of programming languages parentheses are used a huge amount as one would expect from their use in algebra.

One use
    {
        besides the bracketing of a functions method
    }

is to pass arguments (values)  to a function.

Traditionally in examples of code the function "foo" is used.

int foo (a, b, c)

In the above examples three values are passed to 'foo' and an integer (int) is return to the program (or another function) that called it.

If 'foo's function was to add 'a' to 'b' and multiple the result to the power 'c' the following values passed as arguments to 'foo'--

    foo (2,3,2)

would return the integer 25.

Interestingly (or not) such functions can also be 'overloaded'. And be used much like a metaphor.

In my code poems (yes, this is what I am really writing in about) I have overloaded the 'date' function.

example at
http://meika.loofs-samorzewski.com/codepoems.html

Which is a chapter of the following book I'll be self publishing via the Lulu.com POD publisher on Feb 28 2007.

And you can also download the PDF review copy of the entire book via
http://meika.loofs-samorzewski.com/beforecountry.html

Don't worry, the code poems are more exploded prose poems than code, but I like the idea of overloading functions, and so I pass various 'arguments' to the overloaded 'date' function which then try to process them, though I don't know if they return anything.

Let me know.

And if anyone has any suggestions as to where I could send review (hard) copies with this work that has haunted me for nearly 20 years please advise.

cheers

meika
http://meika.loofs-samorzewski.com