Chris

I liked your snap too. And I was planning on responding to your earlier
mention of Bakhtin, as I too have thought that he managed to dismiss
poetry (or lyric poetry as such) too easily as monologic. My argument
would be, however, that he has some of this right: the novel brought
dialogicism into a kind of new space, & then various poets, in their
attempts to get beyond the ego-dominance of lyric found ways to bring
it back into poetry. I once said it this way:

Bakhtin's major point concerning heteroglossia is that it is the
inescapable condition of living language:
The internal stratification of any single national language into social
dialects, characteristic group behavior, professional jargons, generic
languages, languages of generations and age groups, tendetious
languages, languages of the authorities, of various circles and of
passing fashions, languages that serve the specific sociopolitical
purposes of the day, even of the hour (each day has its own slogan, its
own vocabulary, its own emphases)--this internal stratification present
in every language at any given moment of its historical existence is
the indispensible prerequisite for the novel as a genre. 		(262-263).
Or for any "novelistic" writing. Given the English language's
propensity for alteration, adaptation, engagement with and
appropriation from other national languages, it is particularly
susceptible to the "novelization" of all genres.  I would argue,
however, that poetry, in the process of "novelization," confronting and
accepting the centrifugal experience of heteroglossia, has retained its
separate generic stance as poetry  precisely  because that generic
stance allows it particular, even subversive, insights about the nature
of language and reading which might be lost in a novel.
Poetry has always argued its own power to transform reality, though it
has traditionally made that argument in terms of a "unitary language,"
which stood above and against the centrifugal forces of the demotic
speech of the marketplace. While, following Bakhtin, I have argued that
in the modern world, poetry has been novelized and has come to use
language democratically, in full awareness of heteroglossia, I also
believe poetry still serves the possibility of radical transformation.
Given "the fundamental condition, that which makes a novel a novel...is
the speaking person and his discourse"(332), then poetry--
speech
eech to
each
--as bp Nichol puts it in The Martyrology, Book 2--is novelized.
Nevertheless, and this is the point of departure for this paper, poetry
takes such speech, with its reflection of the "social languages" around
us, and renders it mysterious, delivering the word as simple signifier
back to its numinous position as object.

Doug
On 29-Nov-06, at 11:50 PM, Chris Jones wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 13:55 +0000, Barry Alpert wrote:
>
>> I suspect there might be a particular philosophic text or concept
>> which
>> would further illuminate your snap.  What might you be referencing?
>> Barry
>
> Thanks for the nice comments, first. It was very literally a snapshot
> in
> that I needed to write it down and my email client was open so I wrote
> it on that with the intention of maybe sending it later but just as I
> finished and read it a severe thunderstorm forced me to shut down my
> computer to prevent the recent treat of a new ADSL modem and always on
> internet connection being blown up, not to mention that I had also
> recently rebuilt my computer as a 64 bit system which took some effort
> and as a result of this urgent shutdown the snapshot got sent
> automatically. (I should explain that we get frequent severe thunder
> storms here and cannot use computers in such times. Even the microwave
> has blown LEDs and I forgot to unplug the washing machine from the
> electric socket so I hope it still works since it is also controlled by
> a microchip.)
>
> As to a philosophic text or concept... ummm, all I can think of is I am
> currently very slowly reading again Bakhtin's Dialogic Imagination.
> Bakhtin's theory of the novel as dialogic has been a big influence on
> the way I think of poetry in that I think poetry is or at least can be
> novel or novelistic, which is to say always new. So I would say that
> the
> snapshot does attempt some sort of dialogic intention. I also disagree
> with Bakhtin that there is a poetics which is monologic in the sense
> that it presents the poets worldview or subjectivity as an individual.
> think all people are dialogic which is another way of saying people are
> complex. (Although I can understand why Bakhtin needs to set up this
> fiction of Romantic poetics as something to attack in terms of his
> philosophy and literary theory, of course.) Other then that there is no
> conscious connection I can think of. I am also concerned with affects
> or
> emotions as modifications of bodies which again connects to complex
> characters and with compressing images as tightly as I can get away
> with.
>

> don't know what else I could say, Chris Jones.

Douglas Barbour
11655 - 72 Avenue NW
Edmonton  Ab  T6G 0B9
(780) 436 3320
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/

Latest book: Continuations (with Sheila E Murphy)
http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=664

You may allow me moments
not monuments, I being
content. It is little,