Yes, particularly in working with papyrus - which wood tics and other can
make look a variation on swiss cheeze or vurst - the [ ] does indicate
something is "missing". The width between the sides of the bracket, or just
an open ended ]  can indicate the amount of what is missing (from a word to
a whole phrase.

Yes, I play with [
                                    ]
                       your're fired [   ]

For both imaginative (what's missing) as well as spatial, musical effects.
Tho maybe not a poem, I suspect any of us - at one point in our lives -
could fill the blanks above.