In message <[log in to unmask]>, Tony Oldham
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>The following might be a better link:
>
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/derby/content/articles/2006/11/07/titan_cave_video_
>feature.shtml
>
>What interested me was:
>

>“Dave Nixon examined an old journal written more than 200 years ago
>by a Cambridge student exploring old mine works nearby.
>James Plumtree described a network of caves which went further than
>Leviathan, a well-known cave system near Castleton.”
>
>Anybody got the reference?

You should have read your PDMHS "Mining History" Vol. 13 No. 3 1997

The Connection of James Hall's Over Engine Mine to Peak and Speedwell
Cavern by D.A. Nixon and D. Warriner.

Also try T.D. Ford 1993 Cave Science Vol. 19 No. 2 "James Plumptre's
Visit to Speedwell Cavern, Castleton.

Or back to the original -

I. Ousby 1992 "James Plumptre's Britain: The Journals of a Tourist in
the 1790's" published by Hutchinson of London, 248pp.

And having helped sink the shaft into Titan - and having peered over the
edge - it is a gob-smacking place.

Cheers.

Dave.
--