The holes you find, may be the back end of longer holes that were
drilled but where the back did not pull too well.  This still happens
where you may end up re-drilling up to as much as a third of the rock
if you have a poor drilling design.

Our students still do hand steeling as part of the International
student Mining competitions but they only drill to multiples of 6-
inch deep holes.  It may also be a function of what you are drilling
into.

Dave