In a message dated 11/22/06 7:14:28 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
Ann: I´m curious; was the gift, in fact, in addition to the bill? Presumably
after a visit by the doctor to your home - rather
than a visit to his office?
Both.  When I was a young child, in the 40s and 50s, the doctors all made
house calls, In my case, one spent the night at my house because my fever was so
high and she thought I would die during the night.  Later in the 50s and 60s
(and by the 60s I actually worked in the local hospital) we sometimes took
presents when we went to the doctor.  Also, of course if we were in the hospital
gifts were given to the nurses and the doctors routinely.  These were not
expensive gifts -- generally food like cakes, pies, cookies, candy, canned goods,
etc. and also handcrafts.  Particularly popular when I was a nurse's aid were
silly little crocheted covers for Kleenex and toilet paper.  Ugh.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]