Yes, it would unfortunately appear that Paul's note was inaccurate in every
single respect!  It was the Bridgettine brothers became extinct in the 19th
century.  The Syon community ceased to use their Breviary (the brothers had
used the local diocesan one - Sarum in the case of Syon) for the Roman
Breviary between about 1597 and 1897 - but the Breviary was not reprinted
for them until 1908.  (The publisher's stock then was destroyed by war in
1914).

John Briggs

Whitehead John wrote:

> The Bridgettine community of Syon Abbey at South Brent in Devon has a
> continuous history from its foundation by Henry V in 1415-1420, with
> a long period of exile from 1559 until 1861 in Flanders, France and
> Portugal. Throughout that period it retained its English nature, and
> is the sole surviving pre-Reformation English monastic community.
>
>> Paul Chandler wrote:
>>
>> For what it's worth, I think that the present Bridgettine nuns are not
>> really a survival but an early 20th-century re-foundation of the order,
>> which had become extinct after the French Revolution

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]