I had a chance to check the Jesuit Constitutions (1616 ed.), and George Brown is correct about them having a regulation against physical contact. It's one of the Regulae communes, no. 34: "Ut ea, quae religiosos decet, gravitas et modestia retineatur, nemo alium etiam joco tangat, praeterquam in signum caritatis amplexando, cum quis aut abit, aut redet peregre" (In order that the gravity and modesty befitting religious be preserved, no-one should touch another even in jest, except by embracing as a sign of charity when someone goes or returns from afar).

The Jesuit legislation was enormously influential on subsequent religious, so it wouldn't surprise me if many later congregations incorporated some similar rule. However, my rather desultory inquiries haven't found anything exactly comparable in the older orders. Did this prohibition express an early modern rather than a medieval anxiety? -- Paul Chandler