medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Re: [M-R] Touch and the Religious
Lots of information in Chandler's intervention, to which I want to add that in the Jesuit Order there is a rule forbidding touch, and "ne taceas" was taken very seriously  especially in the novitiate, where penalties were prescribed for violation of that rule, even in sports. Though it was not overtly state, I always though the rule was to guard chastity.
Surely there must be a similar rule in earlier religious orders, esp. since Ignatius used  some of them as models for his.

GHB

Interesting questions, Brenda. It is perhaps useful to think of them in two parts: the first concerning the conduct of religious with "seculars", and the second among themselves. The first, with regard to women religious, raises all the issues associated with the enclosure of nuns, which assumed stable form under Boniface VIII's Periculoso (1298), was much insisted on in the aftermath of Trent, and which in strict monasteries is relatively unchanged even today. You could see Elizabeth Makowski's Canon law and cloistered women: Periculoso and its commentators, 1298-1545 (1997), and there is a good summary article by Jean Leclercq in Dizionario degli istituti di perfezione 2:1166-1183 under "Clausura". There is now a fairly large literature on particular early modern convents, sometimes based on documentation produced only by investigation of abuses, but nevertheless revealing a wide range of practice.

Where enclosure was strictly observed, outsiders would be divided from the nuns by a grille (and sometimes a curtain). Where it was less strict, or for immediate family, the curtain would be drawn back; where it was less strict again, some physical contact might be allowed with immediate family through the grille; but in general the regime of enclosure was extremely restrictive, at least in theory. After Trent, the regime of enclosure was enforced even on unwilling women in the new-style non-monastic orders (St Charles Borromeo was notorious for this); some managed, with greater or lesser success, to avoid it.

It was very common, in many orders universal, to require the presence of a companion whenever a nun spoke with outsiders. (Even until recent times nuns and sisters notoriously travelled in pairs).

Modern practice in monasteries of nuns (moniales, who are subject to enclosure, and are not the same as sisters, sorores, who are not) varies enormously even among monasteries of the same order, some observing 16th-century legislation about grilles, keys, veils, turns, and so on to the letter, others abandoning it entirely. I know a Carmelite monastery, quite strict about enclosure, where even parents are always separated from nuns by the grille but where small babies are passed through the turn (a sort of double-sided cupboard) so the nuns can hold them. In other monasteries the nuns ridicule such antique practices.

From the later 17th century on, the many modern congregations of sisters would have had rather diverse practices, in which case an answer to your questions could only be "It depends..." Some had very elaborate and minute legislation about all aspects of physical comportment, often influenced by, or in reaction to, the social mores of a particular time and class. I have the impression--though it's a bit vague--that the most restrictive practices, such as the sleeve-tugging and prohibition of physical contact you mention, belonged especially to congregations influenced spiritually by French Jansenism and perhaps also socially by elite manners.

Many congregations retained quite restrictive practices into the late '60s. I was told by the still-indignant mother of a religious sister that in the '50s and '60s, on her daughter's rare home visits, she had to feed her and the ever-present companion on a card-table in a bedroom, because they were forbidden to eat in the dining-room with seculars, even immediate family. Sometimes they cheated, depending on the uptightness of the companion (of course, no rule goes unbroken). Possibly a congregation which forbade you to eat with your mum would have discouraged hugging and kissing her too. (And I knew some Good Shepherd Sisters in the '70s who seemed to spend their evenings determinedly playing cards because, they explained, until recently they had been forbidden "to play at cards or sit with lap-dogs").

Nevertheless, I think it would be unwise to generalise from the most restrictive practices. Congregations devoted to, say, nursing the poor in their homes tended to develop different practices, psychological cultures, and attitudes to the body than, say, semi-enclosed sisters teaching aristocratic girls in elite schools. Different convents and congregations could vary enormously in the social class of their members, some drawing exclusively from the aristocracy or upper-middle classes, others from fairly ordinary families, and such diversity in social origin was presumably also reflected in diversity of manners.

Men, as usual, got off lightly. Chapter 70 of the Rule of St Benedict forbids a monk to strike another, but I cannot remember any other prohibition of touch in RB.

The medieval Carmelite constitutions, unless I missed it, have no prohibition of physical contact. There was a prohibition on entering another friar's room, or if it was necessary to do so, an injunction that the door must be kept open. Otherwise, there are only generic exhortations to dignified comportment, especially in the presence of lay people. In fact, some physical contact would be actually mandated for the clergy in liturgical contexts, such as the kiss of peace (usually a ritualised embrace). In profession ceremonies the gesture of "immixtio manuum", where the hands of the candidate making vows are held in the hands of the superior or prelate, is another ritualised embrace. I think that the formal embrace was an important greeting during the Middle Ages, governed by considerations of social hierarchy, but nevertheless witness to the social necessity of physical contact. Prohibition of physical contact would surely have been an impediment to pastoral engagement by clergy.

Although Benedict was concerned to maintain a boundary between monks and visitors to the monastery, even the strictest orders of monks never had the physical separations (grilles in parlours, and so forth) which were a feature of monasteries of women. I'm sure I have read of medieval saints who were fastidious about physical contact with women, but aren't these stories related precisely as distinctive characteristics of the saints rather than as normal practice? And I seem to recall that St Aloysius Gonzaga decided to avoid all women, including his mother, but he was a prig.

And on top of all this, in every age everyone is different, and it's surely rare for even the most totalitarian legislation or social control to suppress all difference and spontaneity. Do historians sometimes underestimate this?

This is all a bit general. Others may have contradictions or specific examples. -- Paul Chandler