Hi all,

On this topic, you may be interested to know that here in the UK
similar development work with geographic data and mapping in
repositories is underway as part of the JISC Digital Repository
Programme GRADE project (http://edina.ac.uk/projects/grade/).

We have added map-based functionality to DSpace using the Google Maps
API - see our test DSpace installation at:
http://pentlands2.ed.ac.uk:9207/dspace/geo-search

This is still very much in development but we hope to make this mapping
extension available to the DSpace community at some point in the future.

Quoting Leslie Carr <[log in to unmask]>:

> On 15 Nov 2006, at 21:40, Robert Tansley wrote:
>
>> However, emitting HTML is the last step of a rather longer chain.
> I hope my previous email didn't imply that I was trivialising the
> repository's achievement. When I saw it for the first time, I was
> gobsmacked (the wow factor) and I couldn't see how it worked. I
> thought that you must have completely rewritten the repository and
> changed the underlying model to achieve those results. Then it dawned
> on me that fundamentally, it was still collections of material being
> displayed in a user interface and the repository model was exactly
> the same. Of course, the user interface was much more complex (and
> wow-y), but thanks to a high level API, in abstract terms it's still
> just a interface component.
>
>> The piece of technology that makes those geo sites
>> work is Manakin, an Apache Cocoon-based UI framework (that will be
>> replacing the current DSpace JSP-based UI), which amongst many other
>> things covers e) very nicely for repositories that contain lots of
>> different kinds of data.
> Could you explain this a bit more? All the Manakin explanations that
> I've looked for have briefly mentioned internationalization and
> corporate branding and then got very technical. Why is Manakin needed
> for this example? What does it provide that Web2 stylesheets / script
> combos can't?
>
> Here's some other questions- you may need to refer me to someone
> else. (I don't know what your relationship is to the site.)
> - Is the map used for deposit as well?
> - Is there a practical limit on the scalability of web 2.0 or the
> graphical display that puts a limit on the applicability of the
> technique - the URL that you gave shows a map with 11 items, but
> displaying a map with the whole collection (200+ items) takes about
> 30 seconds to display. Also the map becomes very overcrowded. Do you
> have any suggestions about the best way of deploying these techniques?
> --
> Les

Eddie Boyle
Software Engineer
EDINA, Edinburgh University Data Library
Main Library Building, George Square, Edinburgh EH8 9LJ
Tel: +44 (0)131 651 1433
Fax: +44 (0)131 650 3308
Email: [log in to unmask]
WWW: http://homepages.ed.ac.uk/eboyle1

Are you looking for help or information about "geo" related resources?
Try Go-Geo!    http://www.gogeo.ac.uk