From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of CARLISLE, Phil
Sent: 14 November 2006 15:59
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Materials Thesaurus was: Roman tiles!!!

HI Crispin et al,

We won’t have anything before March and I think that to get users to rejig/fanny around with something that’s working for them, albeit with lacking terms, may cause unnecessary work for all concerned.

What I would suggest to all HBSMR users, and of course anyone else out there, is to let us know what candidate terms you’ve added into object materials so we can make sure they’re included in the new thesaurus.

We basically going to combine the main building materials, covering materials and object materials together along with a smattering of terms form the BM Materials thesaurus (ie. we’ll take the top terms such as SKIN, FEATHER etc. without going down to species level - so no BIRD OF PARADISE FEATHER or DONKEY DUNG!)

If anyone thinks this could make the current situation worse please let us know. It’s pointless us creating a thesaurus which the community consensus is that you don’t need it.

Phil

Phil Carlisle

Data Standards Supervisor

English Heritage

National Monuments Record Centre

Kemble Drive

Swindon

SN2 2GZ

+44 (0)1793 414824

http://thesaurus.english-heritage.org.uk/

The information contained within this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee only. If you have received the e-mail in error, please inform the sender and delete it from your system. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed to anyone else or copied without the sender's consent.

Any views and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of English Heritage. English Heritage will not take any responsibility for the views of the author.