(2) The cycle helmet example is, respectfully,  not one of society versus individual interests but one of state paternalism: the state bans behaviour that is risky and for which prevention does no harm to the individual.

I guess here too the state does it in its own interest as not wearing the helmet and getting into the ICU with a head injury would ultimately need to be funded by the state. Rakesh