-----Original Message-----
From: Evidence based health (EBH)
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of K Mendis
Sent: Wednesday, 22 November 2006 4:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Accounts of Clinical Bases for weighing evidence

Hi All,

I was about to ask a question somewhat related to Matt's so might as
well ask now:

Have there been any studies done to ascertain what type of evidence
CLINICIANS use?
To make it more specific - do they use synopsis, synthesized or studies
in real-time?

We see the immense popularity of the 'high-end synopsis' type sources
such as UpToDate. (some wonder whether they are more 'Eminence Based')

Has there been any studies comparing the above with integrated search
environments such as OVID where you can search Medline, EMBASE, EBMR
(including Cochrane), PsycInfo at once?
Or
if you are thinking of public domain resources - PubMed Clinical queries
(either systematic reviews or a specific study category?

Dan just wrote:
"How about if we call EBM just another way of saying that we are
improving the abilities of physicians to be good critical thinkers?....
The more critically we approach our own interpretation of the evidence,
and know when to let someone else (EBM leaders, drug companies, textbook
publishers) inform our thoughts about that, the better we can serve our
patients."

With TIME as a limiting factor can we expect the practising clinicians
to use at least 'PubMed Clinical Queries' / OVID? Or Does it matter very
much if they depend on UpToDate type of resources to advice the
patients?

Kumara

Dr. Kumara Mendis
MBBS, MSc (Medical Informatics), MD (Family Medicine) Senior Lecturer
School of Rural Health University of Sydney
Tel: +61  6885 7996
Mob:+61 427 141 112