Why does this need to happen in a 'formal academic manner'??

-----Original Message-----
From: A forum for critical and radical geographers
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Pringle
Sent: 16 November 2006 11:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Elsevier and the Arms Trade

As the Publisher at Elsevier responsible for managing our geography
journals, I have been following this discussion, and feel I should now
contribute to it.

James Sidaway, Associate Editor of our journal Political Geography, has
invited Paul Chatterton and Dave Featherstone to use the journal as a
forum in which to air their criticisms of Elsevier in a formal academic
manner. As Dave mentioned on 13 November, their "Intervention: Elsevier,
critical geography and the arms trade" is now published online as an
Article in Press in ScienceDirect: doi:10.1016/j.polgeo.2006.07.003 .

The intention is that this should appear in the printed journal alongside
a response from me, representing Elsevier's view, which can also be found
online: doi:10.1016/j.polgeo.2006.10.001 . Some of the content may be
familiar to you from previous Elsevier responses. However, I hope this
response will add some useful information, e.g., that cluster bombs will
be banned from DSEi 07. (And, contrary to Jon Cloke's note to this forum
on 13 October, cluster bombs were not displayed or offered for sale at
DSEi 05 either.)

I don't expect my article to change the views of anyone who feels that any
association with the arms trade, however legal and however limited, is
wrong. But perhaps I can hope to show that we at Elsevier are aware of
your concerns, and that - as the exclusion of cluster bombs from DSEi 07
demonstrates - Reed-Elsevier policies can be changed as a result.

Chris

Chris Pringle
Publisher - Geography, Planning, Development & Transportation
Elsevier
The Boulevard, Langford Lane
Kidlington
Oxford OX5 1GB
UK

Tel: +44 (0)1865 843712
Mobile: +44 (0)791 7781738
Fax: +44 (0)1865 843951
Email: [log in to unmask]

content by the NorMAN MailScanner Service and is believed
to be clean.

The NorMAN MailScanner Service is operated by Information
Systems and Services, Newcastle University.

====
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and
confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take
no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this e-mail
to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail
from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request
under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving
Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any
losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.