> It was the experiment, rather than the spectrum, with the same name.

Yes you are correct.  Sorry for the sloppy language.

But I think you misintrepret what I am saying.  I don't want two experiments
with the same name.  I accidentally typed the same experiment name for two
different spectra (I have a series of spectra which 1 processing parameter
is varied and I accidentally typed the wrong name).

Once it was setup incorrectly I was unable to change the name of one
experiment without changing the name of the other (you can see in the
screenshots that I tried to correct the name of the 2nd experiment and the
name of the 1st mirrored the 2nd).

In your case we think that in fact you only have one experiment, with two
> spectra in it, not two experiments each with one spectrum.  So renaming
> the experiment of one spectrum will automatically rename the experiment of
> the second spectrum since they are one and the same.

Yes this is the case.

The output from the python prompt is

>>> [s.name for s in exps.dataSources]
['H6.C6_q0.001', 'H6.C6_q0.0001']

two spectra in one experiment.

At any rate, I think Tim's suggestion of a confirmation dialog is
appropriate.

Justin