Dear Mogg,

Thank you for the invitation; let's have a Powwow (as we say in Native
American) via personal email, and perhaps include another Native American
over here, Lee Irwin. He is currently meeting with OUP on which chapter
submissions to include in the Oxford Handbook of Western Esotericism; my
offering is titled "De Magia naturali Book II by Jacques Lefèvre d'Étaples:
Christian Kabbalah of the Renaissance Humanists Embraces Classical &
Medieval Esotericism". The fact that your publishing company distributes
also through New Leaf is very important to me as a US citizen.

I had Mandrake in my fav's file already, but had not looked at your bio and
work on blogspot: very happy to learn that we have a mutual affinity in the
First Peoples of India. My BA in Comparative Literature & Research in
Consciousness is from Maharishi International University (now MUM), and
includes practice of the Siddhis. My research on Lefèvre's technique of
numerical ascension (embodied and described in DMN) pinpoints its parallel
to Patanjali's formula. Unfortunately, I was required to relegate that
exposition to the Preamble, which in toto had no place in Academic discourse
I am told. The Preamble then will be Part I of the Trilogy, and include
excerpts of my translation work refined by an expert as I said; Part II will
be the thesis material per se; Part III, the complete
transcription/translation of DMN Book II.

So, I also belong to the US organizations ASE, Association for the Study of
Esotericism, and Societas Magica. The efforts in Esotericism in this country
are very underfunded, as are our Academic institutions on the whole. An
uneducated populace is easier to manipulate. I refer you to OUP's
publication of Arthur Versluis' The New Inquisitions: Heretic-Hunting and
the Intellectual Origins of Modern Totalitarianism. I quote OUP's Reviews:
"[. . .] Using our current knowledge of the despised esoteric thinkers,
found under a number of labels - Gnostic, occult, mystic, theosophic [. .
. ]." J. Gordon Melton, Institute for the Study of American Religion. "[. .
. Verluis] demonstrates how the West's modern political pathologies stem
back to the dualistic logic of the late medieval Inquisition and almost two
millennia of heretic-hunting. Verluis shows how this same irrational fear of
religious dissent is disturbingly prevalent among intellectuals on both the
right and the left. The result is a call for a return to that 'first
America' of Jeffersonian pluralism, and a plea for a more mature religious
view that can help us find our way out of that Cave of religious terror and
political insanity in which we now all live." Jeffrey J. Kripal

My office here in the front window of our Ojai home is decorated with
pictures of East Indian, Celtic and African Saints, Gods and Goddesses as
well as the Cross; a statue of Buddha sits on my windowsill, a statue of the
Madonna by the front door; Sai Baba's hexagram sarva dharma symbol of six
religions is posted on the front door below a plaque of the Celtic Lord of
the Dance dancing in the pentacle. Ojai is steeped in pluralism, yet just
two days ago I came home to find a flier in my doorhandle proclaiming, "The
End of False Religion is Near".

My experience here in the US is that Esotericism is predominately looked at
as clearly non-Academic, "touchy-feely" as I was told by one professor. As
Verluis apparently exposes per Kripal, this prejudice is "prevalent among
intellectuals on both the right and the left." In my Preamble and thesis I
address this oversight on the part of "acceptable" Academia.

Now that I've chimed in on this Listserv, I thought it appropriate to offer
a little background: thank you for listening,

Kathryn