Khem Caigan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I have often wondered just how much of this
>'Gnostic' material, if any, was available
>before 1945 to folks like Guillaume Postel
>and John Dee.

Very little at all, I expect.  By the beginning of the 20th century, a few books like Dorese's "Secret Books of the Egyptian Gnostics", C.W. King's "The Gnostics and Their Remains" and G.R.S. Mead's "Fragments of a Faith Forgotten" were out.  Texts like the "Pistis Sophia" were well known in translation, and legendary books like the Bruce Codex were known by reputation.  Still, that's but a small piece of what we know about Gnosticism today.

Going back to Postel and Dee however...I can't imagine much was out there.

>Deborah Harkness mentions an Ethiopian Book
>of Enoch in Postel's possession in her *John
>Dee's Conversations with Angels: Cabala,
>Alchemy and the End of Nature*, 1999, for
>instance.
>
>And Susanna Akerman has drawn attention to
>Tycho Brahe's mention of some Ethiopian magic
>books in Postel's possession, on page 517 of
>the 1572 edition of *De Nova Stella*.

Interesting, I'll have to look these up!

>With regard to your statement that -
>' There is no "live" blood product in Cakes of Light ',
>- I refer you to the outstanding literature on prions.

Prions are fascinating and scary.  I hope mad cow disease and related maladies never become prevalent!

>I sincerely hope that you will give some serious
>consideration to the suggestions that I offered in my
>Cakes of Light.

I understand your concerns, and agree that quality control is a very good thing.

>Thanks, but I can't really take all the credit for this
>innovation, since I was actually hoping to demonstrate the
>manufacture of Cream of Tartar (potassium bitartrate /
>KHC4H4O6) from the beeswing of Port:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/ymyadp
>
>Jim Wasserman and Company were quite satisfied with the
>red syrup I had prepared as my 'prima materia', and so
>matters have remained until now.

Yes, it's pretty standard practice.

>While I am on a reforming tear, let me respectfully suggest
>that someone try using Cream of Tartar derived from
>red wine lees when making the Cakes of Light for a change.

At some point, I'd also like to try proper lees from a winery.  Here's to Betty Crocker!

All best,

Richard

"Why don't those stupid idiots let me in their crappy club for jerks?"--Homer the Great