It's the old problem isn't it, once we touch them they become our responsibility!  As Andy says, realistically it was fine to move him like that.  If that had happened to some people they would just have been put in the back of a car and driven up.  Common sense says transport as you did, Clinical Risk says use an ambulance!?  Which is right!

Simon

  _____

From: Andrew Webster [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 16 November 2006 21:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: 48 y/o male 1st fit

I think if he had made a full recovery and there were no warning features like focal neurology or symptoms suggestive of SAH, then a non paramedic transfer was appropriate. The majority of first fits are sent home from ED, with normally only electrolytes sent and a physical examination. With arrangements made for OPD follow up. Around ½ will never have another seizure, and the rest will at some point but who knows when.

Andy Webster

  _____