The Community of Communities is a standards based quality improvement network for therapeutic communities based at the Royal College of Psychiatrists' Centre for Quality Improvement.

The aim of the network is to improve standards and quality of care, promote best practice and to link TCs with the wider TC world. The standards are also useful in defining the nature and the practices of TCs and in providing a common language which can aid communication with other professionals and services.  For further information about the network and existing standards visit: http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/crtu/centreforqualityimprovement/communityofcommunities.aspx

The Community of Communities for Addiction TCs is lead by the advisory group, chaired by Rowdy Yates, Vice Chair of the EFTC and Senior Research Fellow and facilitator of the Scottish Addiction Studies group in the Department of Applied Social Science, University of Stirling. The group is made up of practitioners, managers and service users from key organisations involved in the field of addiction TCs (see draft copy of standards). The group have worked hard to develop a first draft of the Service Standards for Addiction Therapeutic Communities which will provide the basis for a pilot cycle of self- and peer-reviews.

In order for the standards to more thoroughly represent the views and practices of all addiction TCs we have embarked upon a period of consultation. We have posted a set of standards to all communities that we have listed and are asking for comments on the validity and relevance of the standards to their work.

All addiction TCs should have received a copy of these standards and we would ask that you return your comments by Friday 20th October 2006.

If you have not received the standards and would like to comment on them and/or you would like to join the network and pilot the standards and review methods over the next few months then contact me on [log in to unmask]

Thank you for your help and support.

Deepa Shah

Project Worker

Communities of Communities

Standon House

4th Floor, 21 Mansell Street

London

E1 8AA

Tel: 0044 (0)20 7977 6698

Fax: 0044 (0)20 7481 4831

<mail to: [log in to unmask] >

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail may not represent those of the Royal College of Psychiatrists. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.