Well, that's true... and I think the point is not that anybody should be
contesting the aim of reducing speeding and deaths on the road, but the
method. The question is whether technological surveillance is the right
or best way of achieving that goal, and I don't think it is...

But the other thing is that these people are not Winston Smith's and
their idea of individualism is based on being allowed to drive as fast
as they and damn more vulnerable people like cyclists and pedestrians
(and people in less powerful cars). The fact that they adopt discourses
with appeal to our notion of romaticised resistance does not mean that
they actually are carrying our the resistance for the reasons we would
approve. And as a cyclist, I would rather not be literally squelched by
drivers who've decided that destroying speed cameras constitutes "heroic
resistance to rampant, individualism-squelching"!

David.