Sent: 13 October 2006 15:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Basis for Retention Decisons

All retention times are based on a business risk.  Cost of storage, cost of staff time to administer v embarrassment, litigation costs.

Legislation does give periods of minimum retention from time to time.  It is up to organisations to decide whether to follow it or keep it for longer.

In some cases organisation destroy before the minimum time (Like not wearing a seat belt)

Only your organisation can make the decision based on such a risk assessment.  I recommend you consult your insurance and legal personnel as part of such a risk assessment.

regards

Keith Batchelor
Batchelor Associates
Records Management & Health and Safety
http://surf.to/keith.batchelor

Although we have taken care to ensure this email and any attachments are virus free we cannot and do not warrant it will be free of viruses.

Please ensure it is scanned by the latest anti virus software before opening