Susan

Could you possibly visit the off site storage and destroy in situ?

We have this arrangement in place with our off site storage provider which
allows for staff to go to the repository and work on tasks such as these,
this is the best solution for all offering the lowest cost - staff time and
a mileage claim if using own transport and of course the lowest risk.

I would be extremely wary of destroying with low quality information since
you can never be sure whether the title accurately reflects the contents of
a box -  for example we recently had an urgent file retrieval request from a
service for a tender document which they could not find but thought had been
stored with us.  After emptying all of the boxes we had from this team
(around 30) we found the document in a file called "Mary's file"

Good luck with your initiative
Paula

Paula J Smith MSc
Records Manager
Cheshire County Council

* Room 45, County Hall, Chester, CH1 1SF
* 01244 60 2592