Good Morning

The Postgraduates who Teach Network (PGwT) are running a workshop dedicated to the subject of careers for PhDs in psychology.  The workshop will be held on the 18th December (week after the teaching semester ends) and will be held at London South Bank University (close to London Waterloo Station).  The workshop will run from 10am until 4.15pm. Lunch and coffee will be provided. There is no charge for the event but advanced registration is required.

We have split the day into three sessions;

Session 1 - Career Trajectories: Academia & Beyond: Sue Palmer, EdgeHill University, will address how to be successful in interviewing for that first job. Jacqui Akhurst, York Saint John University College, will drawing on research into employability and work-based learning will explore a variety of job options beyond academia for psychology postgraduates and will conduct an activity surveying current job prospects.

Session 2 - Career Panel: We have arranged for a selection of people who have finished their psychology PhDs in the past three years to sit on a panel. Each panel member has chosen a different career path (postdocs, lecturers and working in the NHS) and each will discuss their experiences and answer any questions.  This discussion will be moderated by Rachel Wilcock, Senior Lecturer at London South Bank University.

Session 3 - Giving Yourself the Competitive Edge: Building up a portfolio to provide evidence of skills and competences is becoming a crucial resource for job-seekers. Jacqui Akhurst and Sue Palmer will explore an online awareness-raising task (skill card sort), discuss the customising of material for applications, and draw attention to tricky questions that may form part of recruitment exercises.

I have attached the flyer for the day – please can you circulate this around your department and put it up on the psychology postgraduates board as we have a big room booked and hope to get lots of people together.  For further details of the workshop and to register please see:
http://www.psychology.heacademy.ac.uk/html/event_details.asp?id=14

If you wish to join the Psychology Network in order to receive updates
and discussion topics relating to teaching and postgraduate study in
general then visit
http://www.psychology.heacademy.ac.uk

If you have any questions about the day please contact Debbie Smith ([log in to unmask]) or Coral Dando ([log in to unmask]).  Look forward to seeing you on the 18th and to having some pre Christmas drinks with you all after the workshop,

Debbie and Coral

Psychology Department (EM313)
Kingston University
Penrhyn Road