Hi everyone
I have been tracking this conversation for a while and appreciate the turn
it is taking.
We have just "completed" a collaborative inquiry into the value of
participatory practices to sustainability here in Australia... We divested
ourselves of familiar epistemological stances - which in formal settings are
dominated by instrumentalist assumptions here in Australia. We worked
through 18 months to develop new forms of 1st, 2nd and 3rd person (Torbert
and Reason) ways of knowing, using poetics, imagery, and ever deepening
forms of friendship to open up our understandings with each other. Two
points I would like to make in reference to our work and at this moment in
the discussion:
Something that we developed that was so illuminating and liberating was to
invest the idea of "objectivity" with a sense of vitality - that is, to not
lose the construction of "other" with all its advantages of criticality and
other notions of complementary ways of knowing - but to let such objectivity
be attributed with a two way dynamic (between us the knower and it the
concept of other), not necessarily "human" but open to any construction of a
dynamic relationship between objectivity and other epistemological stances.
Our fear is, following Polanyi and Bohm, that the deep cultural root
metaphore of objectivity as truth and subjectivity as bias is something that
we must shift if humanity is to grasp the truths of our situation as living
truth - to re-vision human "nature";
Second, and related to this playful but essential development, is while we
agree that we  must bring our account into the public light, as we are
doing, and have it opened to epistemological scrutiny by others as some of
you suggest, we should not do so until we feel strong, embracing of the fear
and derision that others will communicate to us in their alienated state
that objectivity creates, and equally light of touch regarding those who
might leap into our experience too easily. It is a very difficult and
challenging experience to open ourselves to such scrutiny, in often
distorted environments. So as much as we have made a lifeworld of mystery,
love and courage between us, we also need to hold the "skin" between our
inquiry community and everyone else with respect and depth of humanity. If
anyone has any wisdom to contribute to our path we would be most interested.
Warmest regards
Susan Goff