Andrew,  Thanks.  Revising that text called to mind my very early process
of intuitively quarrying dialogue from American gangster films of the
thirties and film noir of the forties & fifties, extrapolating from Tom
Raworth's compositional strategy in "Claudette Colbert by Billy Wilder".
The intellectual reworking of that genre by the French New Wave directors
had already legitimized the many hours I spent watching "B-movies", but I
didn't know how I was going to write about them.  Now I assume I'm going to
encounter very likely language for my purposes when I witness such films
for the first time, and even upon subsequent viewings.  Barry