-----Original Message-----
From: Poetryetc provides a venue for a dialogue relating to poetry and
poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Barry Alpert
Sent: 05 October 2006 19:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Snap Jouvet's Tosca

Patrick, I can understand why the opening word "truck" might lead you to
believe that the film during which I wrote down those 4 lines (and 2
outtakes) was a road movie focused on a travelling production of Puccini's
opera Tosca, but the original speaker meant "to engage with" and I continue
that usage in my recontextualization.  Whatever speaker(s) might be
construed from the 4 lines shouldn't be identified with either the director
or me, though I can imagine the last line exiting my mouth, either with or
without the comma, in another circumstance.  Benoit Jouvet didn't want to
make a filmed opera, and he distances the spectator by cutting away to
black & white video of the sound recording session and grainy color video
location shots in Rome.  The opera itself was staged in a large studio in
Cologne.  No trucks or moving vans ever appear on screen.  Barry