Hi List

I am researching a George Chalmers, born 1857 in Flushing Cornwall.

In 1884, at the age of 27,  he went out to Brazil as the Superintendent (manager) of St. John Del Rey's gold mine at Morro Vehlo.  .

The question is, what did he do between say the ages of 18 and 27?

I have established that in 1881 he was living in St Erth and was working as an engine fitter, possibly at Harvey's Foundry in Hayle.  However, to have been employed in such a senior position in Brazil he must have had some significant mining experience or training.

Tony Brooks