From: "Catherine Walker" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2006 4:03 AM
Subject: [MINING-HISTORY] Lead mining in the Northern Pennines

I just came back from Northern England and was able to visit Killihope
MIning Museum.  The Nenthead Mining Museum was closed the day were were
there.  I am researching my ancestors who were involved in lead mining in
the Dufton Fell area.  They emigrated to Virginia in around 1800 and were
involved in lead mining there. I wasn't able to visit Dufton Fell because
the military was on maneuvers the day were were in Dufton and Knock. I have
two questions:

1.  One of my ancestors was from the area of Sleddale.  Does anyone know if
there was lead mining in that area as well?

2.  I did get some photos of what I think were mine entrances and mining
areas on the road from Hexham to Killhope while crossing through the
Northern Pennines in Northumberland, crossing into Durham.   We took the
A686 from Haydon Bridge and turned off a little side road that didn't have a
road number, but it we passed a place called Carr Shield and that road ended
up on the A689, to give you an idea of location.  Is it okay to attach
photos to a email to this mailing list?  I would love to know if anyone
could identify what are in my photos.  If I can't post the photos on the
mailing list,  I can post the URL for the website where you can go to see
the photos. I have seven photos.

Thanks in advance.

Catherine Walker
Toccoa GA