Heavy spar was mined at least once in 1729 by the London Lead Co from their
Netherheath mine in Shropshire. It was sent to London for unspecified
purposes.
Muirshiels mine, Renfrewshire is known to have been operating, opencast, by
1750, I have no idea where the product went or what is was wanted for. There
was a mine at Barlocco near Auchencairn, Dumfries and Galloway, which is
said to have been worked  for quite a considerable time before any records
were kept, it closed in 1862. I believe that this mine (and one, later, at
Auchencairn) was in the parish of Rerrick.

In the first half of the 19th century production stepped in Shropshire and
no doubt many other places with several mines and mills working in the
1830s.

18th century uses for barium chemicals (from barytes, unless they could get
witherite) included dyeing, bleaching, pigments, ceramics (Wedgwood's
jasperware was
59% barytes) and medicines. It may well have been used in cosmetics (as it
still is) presumably for its dense whiteness. By the mid 19th century it was
used for ceramics and paint in some quantity and I imagine that some of
inert filler uses would have started by then, perhaps in paper or oilcloth
production.
Barytes is not toxic or it could not be used for barium meals,  the
more reactive compounds are significantly toxic being used as rat poisons
and insecticides.

If anyone has any other information on mining or use of the material prior
to 1850 I would be interested to hear of it.
Michael Shaw