Dave, Robert & Tony, thanks for your responses to my query.  The 'balance bob' in question is definitely a balance bob (in good condition, very impressive) with a large steel box as a counterweight although it is now empty. It was also quite clearly the main driving beam for the pump rod. Tony has probably hit the nail on the head, the drive from the horizontally acting engine must have been geared down somehow to produce a sensible stroke rate via a flat rod. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with the likely layout to be able to interpret the remaining concrete footings to any sensible degree. I don't think the 'classic' Cornish beam pumping engine arrangement ever reached North Queensland (unlike some of the other states) but this configuration seems to have been used in at least two mines nearby (Girofla and Lady Jane), both very wet by local standards. Thanks again Gents.