Posted Thu, 5 Oct 2006 15:05:25
This message was forwarded through MEDSOCNEWS.
If you wish to make an announcement or publicise
an event then please send the text to:

We would like to invite you to: British Sociology Association and Institute of Health Seminar 'From PhD to PCT (Primary Care Trust)' Reflections on research praxis Professor Gayle Letherby (University of Plymouth) Gayle Letherby is Professor of Sociology at the University of Plymouth. She studied, as a mature student, for herundergraduate and postgraduate degrees at Staffordshire University before taking up a full-time past as lecturer in Sociology at Coventry University in 1994. Gayle stayed at Coventry for 11 years leaving at the end of September 2005 as Reader in the Sociology of Gender and Deputy Director of the Centre for Social Justice. Research and writing interests include reproductive and non/parental identities, working and learning in higher education, methods, methodology and epistemology and the sociology of travel and transport.
'In this talk I reflect on the last 16 years of my research career. In 1990 I began my PhD: Infertility' and 'Involuntary Childlessness': definition and self-identity. My study included individuals (mostly women) who had no parental responsibilities and social and biological mothers. At the time of my fieldwork I fit the medical definition of infertile and identified myself as involuntarily childless and I began my doctoral studies with a passionate concern to highlight what I felt was a misunderstood experience. Sixteen years on my research interests are similar and different in that I still research and write about (amongst other things) the experience of women who mother children (including commissioned work for various agencies on teenage pregnancy and young parenthood) and women who don't. In addition I am still concerned to 'make a difference' through the research I do, although inevitably my 'political' ambitions have been affected by my research experience thus far. In this paper I consider the motivations, choices and  opportunities that have influenced my career to date'.
 27th October 2006 3 - 5 pmroom S0.98, School of Health and Social Studies, Social Studies Building, University of Warwick, Coventry, CV4 7AL.  Please book a place at [log in to unmask] or by phone on 024 7652 3164.

1. For general enquires or problems with the list or to CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS send a message to:
2. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example,
send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:
set medsocnews nomail
3. To resume email from the list, send the following message:
set medsocnews mail
4. To leave MedSocNews, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message (leave the subject line blank and do not include a signature):
leave medsocnews
5. To join or subscribe to MedSocNews, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message (leave the subject line blank and do not include a signature):
SUBSCRIBE medsocnews firstname lastname
6. Further information about the medsocnews discussion list (including
list archive and how to subscribe to or leave the list) can be found
at the list web site:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medsocnews.html