Two places to look for the canon law:

Robert L. Benson, The bishop elect (Princeton UPr, 1968).

Kenneth Pennington, Pope and bishops (U of Pennsylvania Press, 1984).

One of the roots of the second fight between Boniface VIII and Philip the Fair was the latter's effort to remove Bernard Saisset as bishop of Pamiers.  See T. Boase's book on Boniface.

Tom Izbicki

Thomas Izbicki
Research Services Librarian
 and Gifts-in-Kind Officer
Eisenhower Library
Johns Hopkins
Baltimore, MD 21218
(410)516-7173
fax (410)516-8399

>>> "Cormack, Margaret Jean" <[log in to unmask]> 10/2/2006 10:07 AM >>>

 Learned ones,
	I´m trying to find out about both theoretical (canon law)
and real life material pertaining to the deposition of bishops
(12th - 13th centuries). Who is allowed to do so (the appropriate archbishop? the pope?) and on what
grounds? Gross incompetence would presumably be one, but what about
blindness, or other ailments preventing the bishop performing his
office?
Thanks in advance,
Meg

to: [log in to unmask]