Archbishop Baldwin planned to leave Canterbury in 1189-90, setting up a
new establishment at Hackington nearby apparently with a stall for each
member of the English bishopric, as well as the king, plus 60-70 canons.
My source does not make it clear - perhaps it is not known - whether
these stalls would have included a seat in Chapter, and whether the
bishops were just those of the Southern province or not. The plans came
to nothing, though the present Lambeth Palace was one side-effect.

In any case the idea suggests a special kind of constitutional
arrangement specific to an archbishop's church. It would be quite
logical, for example, for archbishops to have super-cathedrals in which
the chapter comprised their suffragan bishops. I wonder whether
Baldwin's ideas had any continental comparitors, of if anyone has come
across other archbishop's churches with unusual constitutions?

Jon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]