Apologies for cross-postings

This email is being sent to  CILIP  Diversity Group, LIS-PUB-LIBS and London reader development contacts  - please respond directly to Alex Owolade, at Plain Truth ,  who is cc'd into this message.

Thanks

Fiona

Speak the Plain Truth About Racism

National Book Tour with Duwayne Brooks

October 2006 – September 2007

On the night of 22nd April 1993, on a street in Eltham, south-east London, an 18-year old black student, Stephen Lawrence, was murdered in a vicious and unprovoked racist attack. This event and the notorious police mishandling of the investigation mobilized the anger of the black community and anti-racists behind the demand for justice. It led, four years later, to the historic Stephen Lawrence Public Inquiry, which confirmed to the whole country the truth about the black and Asian experience of police racism, and sent shockwaves through British society.

Stephen’s best friend, Duwayne Brooks, was a victim of the same racist attack and was with him when he died. Unsure of his rights and treated more like a suspect than a victim by the police, Mr. Brooks, 18 years old at the time, struggled alone to cope with Stephen’s death and his own victimization by the Metropolitan Police as he fought for justice.

Using his own funds, Mr. Brooks has just republished his record of these events:

“Steve and Me
- My friendship with Stephen Lawrence
and the search for justice”.

Mr. Brooks sets out the plain truth about a personal experience of racism and injustice that was at the heart of one of the most momentous chapters in the development of race relations in recent British history. “Steve and Me” is a living document that represents a bitter struggle to get the truth out into the open in order to get justice, not for himself alone but – as he puts it in the books – “To do my best to help other people in situations like mine – people who have been mistreated by the police”.

The book is written in narrative form, compiled from over 30 hours of audio recording that Mr. Brooks made, telling his untold story. It details his experience at school, his friendship with Stephen Lawrence, the attack that led to Stephen’s murder and his own experience with the police and legal system, as the surviving witness of the attack.

We will be asking each reader to write back and tell us what their got out of the book, so that we can put their comments on a website we are planning to set up.

The Tour, which is supported by the Movement for Justice, will cover the period from October 2006 “Black History Month” and throughout 2007 - the 200th anniversary of the Abolition of the Slave Trade by the UK Parliament on 25th March, 1807.

Duwayne Brook’s story is a powerful reminder that this historic Act of Parliament only came about through the struggle of black people in Britain and its colonies to demand that their voice be heard and to free themselves from slavery. A vital role in that struggle was played by ex-slaves like Olaudah Equiano and Mary Prince in Britain, and later by Frederick Douglas in the US, whose narratives spoke the plain truth about the racist nature of slavery and inspired millions of people to rally to their cause.

“Steve and Me” stands in that tradition and reminds us all that as we celebrate the abolition of the slave trade there is an equally vital struggle in present day Britain to eradicate racism and injustice in our increasingly multiracial society.

What we asking from you:

v     Order a book for yourself  and/or for your library

We are selling at a special Tour reduced price of £6.00, including post and packaging.  Order form attached.

Or you can order via the Book Distributor: Central Books Ltd, 99 Wallis Road, London E9 5LN. Telephone: 0845 458 9911, Fax: 0845 458 9912 or email: [log in to unmask] (Website: www.centralbooks.com).

v     Host one of our tour events at your Library ( from October 2006 – September 2007)

Suggested event  format:

1. Introduction: Alex Owolade, Movement for Justice) (10 minutes)

2. Showing of  a DVD  (An amalgamation of  TV footage of the major episodes in the Stephen Lawrence case) Approx 30mins

3. Interval for book signing  (15-30 minutes)

4. Question and Answer discussion with Duwayne Brooks (1 hour)

5.   Final words Alex (5 minutes)

Costs: the travel expenses for Duwayne and up to 2 people.

(email us for more details: speaktheplaintruth@yahoo.co.uk )

To order a copies of the book:

simply complete the form attached, print it off and send it.

v     Forward this email to friends, family and work colleagues.

Tour coordinator: Alex Owolade from the Movement For Justice, Telephone: 0208 674 4051 or 07985 403 781. For book orders email: [log in to unmask]

Tour coordinator: Alex Owolade from the Movement For Justice, Telephone: 0208 674 4051 or 07985 403 781. For book orders email: [log in to unmask]

Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail.