Hi all academics
Bruce Hobbs and I have been funded to work on a project on ³numerical
modeling of deformation partitioning and its role in metamorphism, tectonism
and mineralization² and are looking for two outstanding students to award
scholarships to who could work with us on this project. Applications close
on Oct 31st.

Think back over the past few years of graduates and please pass this on to
one who was exceptional and whom you think has the computing skills and
background needed, and get them to contact me ASAP. We can guarantee two
outstanding students full living allowance scholarships including all
overseas student fees. We would like them to start as soon as possible after
Feb 5 2007. The scholarships will run for 3 years and the PhD students will
spend time with Bruce in Western Australia as well as me in North
Queensland. This is superb opportunity to see some lovely parts of Australia
and work in two very stimulating environments. Below is a short blurb on
what the project is about.

Deformation partitioning plays a key role in folding, cleavage formation and
mineralization. It is a process similar to localization in continuum
mechanics and will be modeled using new computer programs that allow a large
range of parameters to be applied that simulate conditions in natural rocks.
These parameters can be added progressively in a range of orders so that
equivalent natural conditions that most affect the scale and geometry of
deformation partitioning can be determined. The models will be coupled with
fluid and chemical processes allowing them to be applied to fundamental
geological problems such as folding mechanisms, porphyroblast rotation,
cleavage development and, most significantly, mineralization.

Cheers
Tim

Prof. T.H. Bell
School Earth Sciences