HYDROGEOLOGIST and
MINERALOGIST/PETROLOGIST - Kansas
State University

The Department of Geology at Kansas State
University invites applicants for two tenure track
Assistant Professor positions to start fall 2007.
Hydrogeology: Teaching expectations include
courses in hydrogeology, related upper-level
undergraduate and graduate courses, and
introductory-level geology courses.Research
expectations include the development of an
externally funded, field-based research/graduate
program in hydrogeology, including campus-
wide multidisciplinary collaborations with
colleagues interested in water from many
perspectives (see for example:
www.growe.ksu.edu, www.k-
state.edu/geography/facilities/gissal.htm,
gis.ksu.edu/Ogallala, www.oznet.k-
state.edu/kcare, nabc.ksu.edu/NABC,
climate.konza.ksu.edu, www.ksu.edu/nres).
Mineralogy/Petrology: Teaching expectations
include the development of comprehensive
undergraduate courses in both mineralogy and
petrology, as well as teaching a share of our
high-enrollment service courses. We also
encourage courses offered in the candidate's
areas of expertise at the upper undergraduate and
graduate levels. We would expect the rapid
development of an innovative, externally-funded
research program.
For both positions we are particularly interested
in research specialties that would fit one or more
of the department's current growth areas: energy
resources, tectonics/geophysics, environmental
geology, and earth science education. The
successful candidate should demonstrate a strong
commitment to excellence in research, teaching,
mentoring of students and to serving a diverse
population. A PhD in geosciences is required.
The Department of Geology at KSU currently
has eight faculty members (with two vacant
positions), and offers B.S and M.S. degrees in
Geology (www.ksu.edu/geology).KSU is
located in the tallgrass prairie of the Flint Hills in
eastern Kansas (www.ksu.edu). K-State is
designated a Carnegie Doctoral/Research-
Extensive Institution and has been ranked among
the top state and private institutions of higher
education in Rhodes, Marshall, Truman,
Goldwater, and Udall scholars since 1986.
Review of applications will begin November 6th,
2006 for mineralogy/petrology and November
13, 2006 for hydrogeology and we plan to
interview in the late fall and early spring
semesters, respectively. Applications should
include a letter of application stating the position
to which you are applying, a complete vita, and a
statement of ways in which your approach to
teaching and research are likely to expand,
enrich, and complement geology and related
programs at KSU. Three letters of
recommendation should be arranged to be sent to
the department at the time of application.All
materials should be sent to: Search Committee
Chair, Department of Geology, Kansas State
University, Manhattan, KS 66506
([log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]). Kansas
State University is an equal
opportunity/affirmative action employer and
actively seeks diversity among its employees.
--

Mary Hubbard, PhD
Department Head and Professor

785-532-2241