Karl, Alan, Ted, Bob et al,
Sadly, I don't have much time/energy since teaching began a month
ago. I have been trying to follow all the arguments, and find it a
"lot."

My major issue, I think, is that we are having some sort of argument
(at the least) about human nature and morality. My "take" on this is
to return to my notion (a G.H. Meadian "inversion" - the actuality of
human survival as persons) is that we are "moral" because we were all
raised by m/others with whom we were "attached" (Mead and Lorenz and
Bowlby - what Child Development is exploring and claiming these days.)

We are not individuals merely "continuous" with our physically-born
bodies - but "emergent" from very deep and extended relationships
with our m/others without whom we do not survive. The morality (See:
my attachment" on "The Genesis of Morality" occurs as we emerge from
being attached with our m/others and develop a "self" or an "I" -
when we become "dangerous" (moving, jumping, running...) our m/others
have to work hard to convince the child to take care of itself "as
she would." Morality - good and bad - is thus an aspect of our being
human, and continuing to develop. (There's a theory of how we come to
have language here, as well - later.)

Thus good and bad, making judgments is already an aspect of our
continuing being. (This is, of course, a most important argument here
with the continuing rise and power of the strong religious who claim
that only the deity "makes" us moral.
Harvey