Dear Nick, Roger and Group,

While contemplating the thoughts you express below, I came across this
article in the New York Times.  It spoke to me about the timelessness of
core values expressed in our literary heritage over the millennia and of
their place in the education curriculum today

I hesitate to copy the entire article for fear of infringing copyright laws
(if someone could provide a guideline on this I would be grateful). The link
to the article will remain live for a day or so before the complete article
is archived. (If you miss it and are interested – I have the article I could
send privately)

Translating Virgil's Epic Poem of Empire  By CHARLES McGRATH

Published: October 30, 2006

HYPERLINK
"http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/30/books/30fagl.html?em&ex=1162443600&en=2a1
82b8438f2e75a&ei=5087%0A"http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/30/books/30fagl.html
?em&ex=1162443600&en=2a182b8438f2e75a&ei=5087%0A

The article is about the recent release of Robert Fagles’s new English
translation of “The Aeneid” (Viking), ‘in which that ancient war horse
emerges as a work of surpassing beauty, feeling and even relevance,
everything that teachers used to say it was.’

Key quotes:

“I usually try not to ride the horse of relevance very hard,” Mr. Fagles
said recently at his home near Princeton University, from which he recently
retired, after teaching comparative literature for more than 40 years. “My
feeling is that if something is timeless, then it will also be timely.”

‘ But another reason for the success of the Fagles translations is that
there turned out to be a far greater audience for them than either the
author or the publisher had anticipated. “I was very surprised,” Mr. Fagles
said, “because I’m an academic, and a lot of hand wringing goes on in the
academy about the illiteracy of the public. The great joy of this work was
to discover that there is in fact a great number of very intelligent,
hardworking readers out there.”

“Every now and then you pick up a book, whether it’s Homer or Dante or
whatever,” he said, “and you read something and think, ‘My God, that’s such
a perfect image of me.’ When I read that passage, it wasn’t just that I
could identify with the situation, but that the text took that situation and
made it universal.”

‘The great challenge, he said, was to master the two voices of “The Aeneid”:
the stately public voice, the one that critics of Virgil used to say was
just propaganda for Augustus, and the private voice of Aeneas’s personal
sorrow. “The modern tendency is to hear one voice to the exclusion of the
other,” he explained. “We generally think of the public voice as the voice
of betrayal, and the private voice as the only place where truth resides.
But the truth in Virgil is more complicated than that, and you need to hear
both’

Best wishes

Cherryl

   _____