  From: Karl Rogers
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:36 PM
  Subject: Re: On the issue of Wisdom Inquiry

  Well said Roger.

  Roger Anderton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    Poor Socrates was forced to drink poison for criticising authorities; to teach this method to students and get everyone criticising everything must eventually end up with anarchy (I think).

    The problem with grading is that there needs to be an authority saying what's right and what's wrong. Then  if this authority could be  wrong, there needs to be those who are Socratic in criticising.

    There are lots of different points-of-view. There are religious groups that want to impose their point-of-view on Society. But Society is composed of these many groups and other types.

    It is difficult to judge one point-of-view against another.

    On the emotive issue of child abuse, Society has had different beliefs as to what was acceptable. For instance in the Dickensian period (Victorian) it was acceptable to send orphans up chimneys to clean them, often they died; opinions changed and such a thing is now considered child abuse. Different societies will hold different opinions as to acceptable behaviour.

    >>Can we stop pretending that we do not need to make judgments about difficult issues, despite our fallibilities and the likelihood that many of our judgments may, after all, turn out to be wrong.

    It is part of our nature to try to make judgements on issues. As to what will be considered right or wrong, opinions will vary over the years, and society will be based upon these different opinions which can reverse the beliefs of the past; so what is considered wrong will continually change.

    Roger