From: "James Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:43 PM
Subject: more on cutting ESOL funding

Hello!

I am writing again about the recent decision by the LSC to cut funding for
ESOL lessons for low paid migrant workers and for asylum seekers. I view
this as a disgraceful and illiberal move.

As I have maintained here before, withdrawing free ESOL lessons from
migrant workers from the EU possibly contravenes European law,
specifically article 14 of the European convention on the legal status of
migrant workers. As for withdrawing funding for asylum seekers, I think
the LSC should be ashamed of themselves. ESOL lessons, as we all know, are
a lifeline for learners who are asylum seekers, and to take this away from
them is a callous move.

I would very much like to know what others think about this, and what
people are considering in response.

Here is the original LSC press release about its annual statement of
priorities where the announcement concerning funding was made. The link to
the .pdf is
http://www.lsc.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/eksfo755wbgeubgteivb7k6dyimswhat4yc6snq7
zipfd3rsobv7n4nlvqdr4gtmnpmbbzvu7zreie/pr388annualstatementofpriorities.pdf
Alternatively go to the LSC home page, go to ‘media channel’, then follow
the link to “LSC reveals top priorities for 2007-08”

The announcement about funding is buried towards the end. The actual quote
is: ‘From 2007/08 ESOL learning will no longer attract automatic fee
remission. Free tuition will still be available to priority groups, for
example, for people who are unemployed or receiving income-based benefits.
[…] To bring FE funding in line with other Government departments, asylum
seekers will no longer be automatically eligible for publicly funded FE
provision from 2007/08 (except those granted refugee status, humanitarian
protection or discretionary leave by the Government).

The Refugee Council was quick off the mark with a response:
http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/news/press/2006/october/pr_learning_and_sk
ills.htm

Leeds-based people might want to contact Lydia Brown at RETAS, who are
coordinating a local response. (Thanks Lydia for this information)
Lydia Brown, Advisor, Refugee Education Training Advisory Service, 335
Roundhay Road, Leeds, LS8 4HT, 0113 2407320. [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Here again is a link to the original article in the Guardian which brought
this to my attention:
http://education.guardian.co.uk/tefl/story/0,,1929455,00.html

Angela Keenan writes from Tadcaster reminding us of the June 2005 KPMG
review of ESOL (Thanks Angela). I had read this before, but hadn’t noticed
it was commissioned by the LSC and the Skills for Life Strategy Unit. It
may have informed the recent decision about funding, perhaps. It strikes
me as a lightweight and superficial study. It does not, however, recommend
withdrawing funding for ESOL for asylum seekers. Here is a link:
http://www.thelearningcampus.co.uk/uploads/kpmg-review-of-english-for-
speakers-of-other-languages.pdf

Cheers
James