James Cummings wrote:
> Several years a number of UK HE institutions attempted to do this as a
> national service.  See http://www.cvs.ac.uk/ ... this provided a place
> for researchers to put their CVs up in a structured way for employers to
> search, etc.  Sadly they decided it wasn't viable.

I had a feeling I'd heard about something like this. What I had in mind
was of course something much simpler (though I'm happy for the community
to pick up and run with it in some other direction if so inspired). I
was thinking much more of a space for those of our digital classicist
colleagues who are not in permanent/long term/stable/full time
employment (in particular graduate students and unemployed post-docs,
for example) to just say: 'look, here I am, exploit me.'

A sample entry might look something like:

• Classical pedigree/qualifications (e.g. PhD)
• Computing qualifications/experience (e.g. XML/XSLT; programming
language(s); ...)
• Projects associated with/responsible for?
• Referee (1/2 classicist and/or digital humanist who can vouch for you)

We wouldn't want a full CV, although a link to an online resumé
elsewhere would probably be fine.

I wasn't thinking, particularly, of posting job adverts in the same
place (after all jobs can be posted on the mailing list, the Stoa blog,
and elsewhere). And many of the opporunities we're talking about are not
advertised, as such, but filled by word-of-mouth.

As Marjorie points out, it will of course be particularly important to
(a) make sure this is used in Europe/rest-of-world, where the problems
of communicating digital classical expertise are especially acute, and
(b) coordinate this with the medievalist/other humanist bodies who have
similar problems. After all, it is probably the case that someone with a
humanities background outside of classics is still better qualified for
this kind of work than a compsci major, however good their programming
skills.

Best,

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD

Email: [log in to unmask]
T: +44 (0)20 7848 1388 / F: +44 (0)20 7848 2980