Wayne, Anna:

Some of the difficulty of mapping local call numbers arises from the
fact that they are really used in two ways in libraries. On a purely
practical level, they are indeed "call numbers," e.g. identifying the
precise spot on the shelf where an item can be found.  Given this,
and the dearth of other kinds of unambiguous identifiers for physical
materials, putting a call number into Identifier for a physical
resource might be a reasonable decision.

On the other hand, the reason call numbers create browsable shelves
and accession numbers don't is that that they are, at bottom,
classification numbers, with the addition of "book numbers" or
"Cutter numbers" that enhance their use in identification. This
classification function is why some libraries put "call numbers" on
digital materials--not to place them on some virtual shelf somewhere,
nor to identify them (they normally carry other means of unambiguous
identification), but to relate them to other materials on the same
topic.  Classification is defined by Dublin Core as part of the
Subject element, as you have noted, and local call numbers are really
classification PLUS identification, in a sense. Therefore, you might
want to include call numbers as Identifier AND Subject, if indeed
those are the dual purposes supported by those 'local call numbers.'

Source is probably not a good idea, unless you are using the call
number as an identifier of a related work.  The call
number/identifier should not refer to the resource being described in
the rest of the DC description, since Source is explicitly defined as
"A reference to a resource from which the present resource is
derived," in other words, a specific "derived from" relationship.

Regards,
Diane I. Hillmann
Editor, "Using Dublin Core"

--