Andy,

it's pretty easy to set up.

I use 'conversation' as my viewer

http://www.irchelp.org/ has enough help files to keep you busy.

It's also easy enough to open a new channel, though it's best to
register with a password.
I created #accessibility, which could be busier, but has some
excellent archives.

so then one wants a logger to create the archive, and if possible a
chump, and a few bots.

but dont get the idea I'm obsessed, I spend no time creating or
maintaining IRC, and most days don't login.

once your set up, you can either start clicking a link, or opening
the application.

best wishes

Jonathan Chetwynd