-----Original Message-----
From: A forum for critical and radical geographers
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Justus Uitermark
Sent: 06 October 2006 13:56
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: codes of conduct for research

Dear critters,

I recently received a message from my department that I'm required to
sign a code of conduct for the collection, processing and presentation
of data. I did some quick research and found out that all permanent
employees were automatically subject to this code. İt is, in fact,
a specification a law that protects the privacy of individuals. All
temporary employees (including PhD-students like myself) have to sign
it. I would like to ask list members to share negative, neutral or
positive experiences with such codes or the institutions that enforce
them, either privately or via the list.

Some background:

I am very concerned about the ethics of research but I have big problems
with this code since it is:

- imposed from above;

- contains numerous vague statements. For example, we can share data
with other people provided that we have made 'sufficient' effort to
ensure that they 'know about' the code. What is sufficient seems quite
arbitrary to me and also I wonder what happens if others know about the
code but have not signed it;

- it appears to exclude  since individuals (or their parents) have to
consent to being researched prior to the investigation, should be fully
informed of the purposes of the research and only information that has
been provided with their full knowledge can be used for research. Before
publication everything that could identify the persons in question
should be removed;

- apparently without consequences. There is no agency that will enforce
the code. For the next 3 years they will only register complaints;

- no real (or for that matter: ethical) reasons are given to sign the
code. The only reason I heard is that it allows researchers to use each
others data for educational purposes but ironically this contradicts a
statement in the code (data will only be used for research, i.e. a
publication, i.e. not for education).

I fear that in reality this code will lead to more bureaucracy and a
separation of ethical considerations and research practice. I mean that
I can imagine that ethical research is equated with research that
conforms to the letter of the code and that real ethical questions are
evaded because of it. Alternatively, it could be that the code remains a
dead letter and that people continue their research as they do now. But
then again, it may happen at some point that the rules are enforced.

My suspicions only grow stronger because of some experiences I heard
from people abroad, especially in Australia and the US (to simplify:
ethics is in reality more or less the same as avoiding a court case and
ethics commissions take months to approve a plan before the researcher
can proceed without making a single change).

Thanks a lot in advance,

Very best wishes

Justus

Dit bericht is verzonden via Postbakje Free. http://www.postbakje.nl/ -