Personally I would ask the why the project investigators asked for such
a low salary in their ESRC application. There is no room for negotiation
once a grant budget has been awarded. It is easy to lay the blame on
'the man' for low salaries but it is the moral duty of investigators to
ask for a fair wage for research staff in any grant application.

Under the new salary scheme there are minimum thresholds for staff with
certain experience and qualifications and these should be a fair guide
to what can be asked for. Research councils, in my experience, do not
turn down applications on the basis of asking for a reasonable and
justified wage for project staff.

Steven Cummins MSc PhD
MRC Fellow
Department of Geography