RE: 250m from Landfill

Dear All

Article 18 of the Planning General Development Order (1988) requires Local Planning Authorities to consult the Waste Disposal Authority regarding new developments proposed within a 250m radius of land which is, or at any time in the last 30 years has been, used as landfill. This is normally called the 'methane consultation zone'. The 250m radius figure was then repeated in Waste Management Paper 27.

I'm not sure about the origin of the 250m radius, but it's clearly arbitrary - the actual potential migration distance of landfill gas in the ground is clearly dependant on many factors, not least the geology. 250m in dense clay is very different to 250m in fissured limestone or river gravels.

I have a feeling (but haven't checked) that this consultation radius was intended to be a minimum figure, Local Planning Authorities being free to consult on developments further from any suspect sites as they wish. Also the 30 years period is, in my experience, often not a factor that is considered, with consultation taking place for all sites, including older and even historic landfills.

Clearly in this CLR11 age what we really all should be doing is risk assessing each potential source of gas in its own right and identifying a suitable consultation zone based on available gas data, geological information etc etc. In reality that's going to be a lot of work and require a lot of data that probably doesn't exist in many cases.

I know from personal experience that a certain West London Borough did actually go along these lines, and identified 'variable' consultation zones around each of its 100+ former landfills. The radii of each zone was produced based on careful assessment of monitoring data gathered over a long period and and assessment of surrounding geology. It required buy-in and approval from the Environment Agency, the Local Planning Authority and Building Control Inspectors, and this was eventually obtained.

Clearly a default position of caution is required when there is uncertainty (or simply no data) - but the change of approach was very useful in focussing regulatory (and developer) resources only on those sites that actually warranted it.

If anyone wants to know more let me know.

Steve Moreby

Environmental Health Department
Gloucester City Council         T   01452 396 312
Herbert Warehouse               F   01452 396 340
The Docks                       [log in to unmask]
Gloucester,  GL1 2EQ            www.gloucester.gov.uk